Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Waves in our Lives

Roy at the Beach in San Diego taken 3-2010


We all have WAVES IN LIVES at certain times. As some of you have heard I received a job offer in Idaho. Over the weekend we went to Twin Falls to find a place to live and of course check out the school where I would be teaching. Well a long story short I was offered one salary and then when I arrived was told that the salary had changed and it was smaller. David and I had budgeted the first salary total and we decided that even though I was taking a pay cut it would be worth it because we felt that the area was a better atmosphere to raise our children. We are still waiting on the school in Twin Falls to finalize their offer but we are leaning towards just staying in Las Vegas since the pay is a LOT less then we anticipated or for that fact been told.
I have felt a little bad about the way it turned out since we were pretty excited to move to a place that is not so screaming HOT. I came across this article today by Elder Ballard:
"What are your concerns in life at your age? Some of you have had questions on your minds about schooling, employment, marriage, and other general directions in life—about how to best fulfill the expectations of yourself as well as the expectations the Lord has for you.

If I were your age and thinking about life and its meaning, there is one characteristic that I would strive to develop.
That characteristic is to have a positive attitude. I am a great believer that what you and I think about will ultimately come to pass. I believe if we think about committing a sin long enough, we will find ourselves entangled in that sin. I believe if we think about what it takes to be successful long enough and if we are willing to discipline ourselves to the principle of success, we will experience success. Yes, I am a great believer that “as [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he” (Prov. 23:7).

I have learned that
I really do have control to a great degree over my circumstances. If I don’t like them, I’ve found there are certain things I can do to change them. If I want to move to higher ground, if I want to have more positive experiences, I must think about life in positive terms, not dwell on the negative."

(M. Russell Ballard, “Go for It!,” New Era, Mar 2004, 4)
After reading this I have decided that what is meant to be will be. Maybe this was just a jumping off point for us in our search to move to a "cooler" climate. Or maybe it just allowed us to look at what is important to us. But no matter what happens we need to stay positive and trust that the Lord will guide us where He wants us to be. I think the waves in life is our test and how we respond to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment